TM 11-7010-201-12/ET821-AA-OMl-010/E154 MTS/TO 31S5-2TSQ73-1
(2) Do this treatment within 8 hours (but not
5-26. REPAINTING AND REFINISHING.
more than 72 hours) before applying finish.
(Shortest possible interval is preferred.)
Inspect the MTS exterior periodically to determine
(3) After treating, rinse surface with clear water
any need for repainting and refinishing.
and test treated area with clean, white cloth
Inspect the external painted surfaces of the case and
which you have wet with distilled water.
front panel assemblies for any damage.
(4) If cloth shows stains, continue wiping
If you can correct any damage with minor touchup,
surface with clean white cloths, wet with
do so according to paragraphs 5-27 and 5-28.
distilled water, until surface is completely
If any damage is extensive, refer MTS to depot
Before you refinish the MTS, prepare the surfaces:
clean off dirt, grease, fungus, moisture, etc.
5-28. SURFACE COATING.
R e f e r to TB 43-0118 for detailed
instructions for field touchup of
After surface preparation, coat surface according to
the following paragraphs.
5-27. SURFACE PREPARATION.
Before applying any finish, clean surface thoroughly.
Do not paint:
functional, working, or wearing
If you use masking tape, use
Zthreads of screws;
Cover (mask) the following items:
nonmetallic areas; or
Z electrical contact areas;
contact areas of metal
heat transfer areas; and
a. Prime Coat.
plastic, rubber, and working parts.
(1) Prime surface with one coat of zinc
chromate primer, according to TT-P-1757
b. Preparatory Cleaning.
(2) Air dry for 1-1/2 to 24 hours.
(1) Remove grease, oil, etc., with detergent
and clean water.
b. Top Coats.
(2) Remove minor pitting or scratches with fine-
(1) Apply first finish coat of enamel less than
grit sandpaper and then rinse with clear
24 hours after zinc chromate primer has
c. Touchup Surface Treatment.
(2) Apply two coats of enamel alkyd, semi-
If surface to be treated has been damaged, do the
gloss green (color number 24410) paint,
according to TT-E-529.
(1) Treat surface with class 1 A chemical
(3) Air dry (class A) or bake dry (class B).
conversion coating according to MIL-C-
ZAir dry for 24 hours between coats.
5541B and MIL-C-81706 (Amendment 4).
Bake dry for 1/2 hour at 300F between