g. Adjustment of Brushes. Tension on the
brushes is controlled automatically by the brush
springs. To adjust brush holder settings, proceed as
(1) Loosen setscrews.
(2) Remove safety wire, screw, brush holder
screw assembly washer, snap-ring, and brush and
spring assembly from the brush holder.
(3) Position brush holder so that end of brush
will be parallel to the commutator bar (brush hold-
ers should line up with each other when properly
(4) When brush holder is properly aligned,
(5) Replace brush and spring assembly, snap-
ring, washer, and brush holder screw assembly.
(Coat exposed internal threads of com -
mutator bracket into which setscrew
is installled with chemical film, Mll-
itary Specification MIL-C-5541.
2-55. Power Switch. Replace the power switch in
the following manner.
(1) Remove mounting nut securing power
switch to tester case. Remove power switch.
(2) Unsolder and remove leads from power
(1) Solder leads on power switch. Check for
(2) insert power switch into hole in tester
switch, with the white/black and white/red leads to
the front of case, and secure with mounting nut.
2-56. Fuse. Replace the cartridge fuse with the
Spare cartridge fuse as soon as possible. Replace the
spare fuse as soon as possible.
2-57. Indicator Light.
a. Disassembly. Remove cap from light base.
Press lamp and turn counterclockwise to remove.
(1) Unsolder leads and remove from light
(2) Remove mounting nut securing light base
to tester case. Remove light base.
(1) Insert light base in tester case and secure
with mounting nut.
(2) Solder leads on light base.
(1) Insert lamp in light base and turn clock-
wise to secure.
(2) Install cap on light base.
2-58. Wiring Harness. Repair the wiring harness
by replacing a defective lead or replace harness as
(1) Remove chassis assembly from tester case
and disconnect plug connector.
(2) Unsolder wiring harness leads on trans-
former, rectifier and power switch; identify/tag
each lead removed.
(3) Remove nut and screw securing ground
leads to chassis.
(4) Remove wiring harness and grommets
(1) Install grommets and insert wiring har-
ness in chassis.
(2) Insert screw, install ground leads and se-
cure with nut.
(3) Solder wiring harness leads on trans-
former rectifier and power switch in reverse order
(4) Attach plug connector and install chassis
assembly in tester case (para. 2-46). Check each re-
soldered lead for continuity.
2-59. Power Cables. The power cables are in-
spected and repaired or replaced as follows:
(1) Inspect the cable assemblies for cracks,
breaks, cuts, distortion, and damaged threads.
(2) Test the cable assemblies for continuity.
(3) Perform a high potential test on each
cable assembly. Refer to Military Specification
b. Repair or Replacement.
(1) When replacing wire or connectors, use
(2) Replace a defective cable assembly that
cannot be repaired.